Song of the week:
Katy Perry feat Skip Marley — ‘Chained To The Rhythm’
There was a point where we thought Sigrid’s excellent ‘Don’t Kill My Vibe’ might be Song Of The Week but let’s be serious for a minute — ‘Chained To The Rhythm’ is this week’s best pop single. We wrote a bit about this earlier today but can we just add that there’s a bit of a “let’s dance through all of this / war is over for a bit” element to the chorus and Skip’s “EYYYY” is spectacular.
Wrong of the week:
Campsite Dream — ‘Freak Me’
No to covering Another Level covering Silk. A big no all round.
- The Courage and Lao Ra song we mentioned earlier this week is still incredible.
- Anne-Marie‘s ‘Ciao Adios’, which we discussed yesterday, takes precisely zero chances and sounds all the better for it.
- New artist Shaima pops up with bassy pop moment ‘Phenomenal’.
- Remember a few weeks ago when Jamiroquai came back with a brilliant song? It’s Texas‘ turn this week, though you’ll be relieved to hear that another Jamiroquai song has also popped up this week and it’s pretty bad, so you don’t need any conscience crises over the whole “hang on do I actually like Jamiroquai” thing. In common with some of Texas’ other better songs ‘Let’s Work It Out’ sounds like various songs from the olden days.
- Nice to see Dagny popping up on the LCAW song. Hiya Dagny!
- Most of the stuff off the new 50 Shades soundtrack involves excellent artists phoning it in.
The post New Music Friday: Katy Perry, a crap cover of an Another Level single, and the songs in between appeared first on Popjustice.